SEVEN SEPARATE HAMAD INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT TOURS CONFIRMED FOR ACI AIRPORT EXCHANGE
Access to the Hamad International Airport tours are exclusively available to delegates of Airport Exchange 2013 at no extra cost. Details on how to book a place on the tours will be provided as part of the event registration process.
The new state-of-the-art Hamad International Airport has been designed to be a luxurious and highly efficient gateway to Qatar and the rest of the world. At 590,000 square metres the passenger terminal complex is the largest building in Doha and has the design capacity for 30 million passengers upon operation.
Hamad International Airport is set against the edge of the Arabian Gulf and is partially built on reclaimed land. The column free check-in hall spans 25,000 square metres to accommodate the 138 check-in counters spread across five islands for passengers' comfort and convenience. The 28,000 square metre retail area is a focal point in the terminal which includes stores such as Qatar Duty Free and a number of well-known brand names. Its state-ofthe- art facilities, welcoming atmosphere and friendly personnel are poised to redefine the way its customers travel and do business. The airport has two 100-room luxury transit hotels to offer passengers an opportunity to relax, refresh and rejuvenate themselves in-between flights. Hotel guests, as well as Qatar Airways First Class and Business Class passengers will have access to resort quality facilities that include 2 squash courts, a 25 metrelong swimming pool and 5-star spa for passengers to relax while in transit.
With one third of the world's population living within a 4-hour flight from Doha and twothirds of the population within an 8-hour flight (4.5 hours from Delhi, 5 hours from Moscow, 6.5 hours from London, 8 hours from Kuala Lumpur) Qatar is quickly becoming a major travel and transit hub.
Hamad International Airport has been designed with the world's largest passenger aircraft in mind – the Airbus A380. Both runways have been designed to accommodate a fully loaded Airbus A380 along with 6 contact gates that will cater specifically for the A380 and the largest free span aircraft maintenance hangar in the world. The cargo terminal at Hamad International Airport is one of the largest in the world and has the annual capacity for 1,400,000 tonnes of cargo and features a fully automated storage system. Hamad International Airport also features a uniquely designed mosque for passengers and the public, a crescent shaped air traffic control tower, a catering facility with the capacity to produce up to 100,000 meals per day and an Emiri terminal.
DIA will offer the following seven tours to satisfy different areas of interest:
General HIA Tour
- This tour will take delegates on a journey to experience the sprawling 590,000+ square-metre Passenger Terminal Complex, which has been designed to offer passengers a seamless, hassle-free experience whether arriving in or departing from Doha. The tour will cover features such as the expansive check-in hall, passport control, security screening and boarding gates, as well as the baggage reclaim and the arrival hall. It will also feature the 28,000+ square-metre retail area that is touted to take airport shopping and dining to a whole new level.
- Cutting-edge technology features prominently at HIA, with advanced operating systems allowing for unparalleled operational efficiency across the full spectrum of services and facilities. This tour will cover the Maintenance Management Centre, Automatic Cargo Material Handling System, Aircraft Maintenance Hangar, Central Utility Plants, Airport Tunnels and Fire Life Safety Systems.
- At HIA, the highest international standards in airport safety and security have been implemented to create a safe, welcoming and comfortable airport experience for passenger and employees. The security tour will cover HIA's landside security philosophy, control centres including the Access Control System (ACS) and Visual Surveillance System (VSS), departures screening, as well as other processes including Immigration, Customs and Arrivals.
Baggage Handling Tour
- Featuring a high level of automation, HIA's state-of-the-art baggage handling system will have the capacity to electronically sort and deliver up to 5,000 originating bags per hour and 13,500 transfer bags per hour. This tour will also showcase core processes including the Baggage Control Centre, Hold Baggage Screening, Baggage Reconciliation and Customs Screening.
Retail & Passenger Experience Tour
- Spread across 28,000+ square metres HIA's retail area will feature an extensive range of premium and bespoke services. HIA's retail and F&B offering aims to take airport shopping and dining to a whole new level. In this tour delegates will get to see how the Passenger Terminal Complex has been designed to immerse all walks of passengers in a world of unparalleled luxury and comfort, making it the ideal example of an airport purpose built to cater for transfer passengers.
Operations – Airside Tour
- Operational excellence is paramount at HIA. Amongst the highlights of this tour is a visit to the highly advanced 85m-tall Air Traffic Control (ATC) centre as well as the Airport Operations Control Centre, Emergency Operations Centre, Airport Rescue and Fire Fighting Services. The tour also includes a viewing of the Taxiway system and the East Runway, part of HIA's dual Runway system designed to accommodate an incredible 100 aircrafts per hour. In addition, delegates will have the opportunity to visit HIA's Emiri aprons, located at a separate terminal spanning 12,000 square metres.
Operations – Landside Tour
- As a world class airport, HIA's Passenger Terminal Complex will incorporate a highly efficient transportation system offering convenient inter-city access to and from the airport by car, bus, taxi or metro. This tour will take delegates on a visit of the short-term car park, bus pavilion, taxi pavilion, and vertical circulation node. In addition, delegates will visit the check-in hall at the Passenger Terminal Complex, Interim Airport Operations Centre, Concourse B, Sterile Corridor, Baggage Reclaim and the Meet and Greet area.